You might not think of sleep apnea as a dental issue, but your dentist could offer helpful treatment for the condition. Dr. Sean Bullard’s Oakland, CA, dental office offers options to relieve sleep apnea symptoms and improve quality of life.
Before a treatment is planned, Dr. Bullard will first determine if you do, indeed, suffer from sleep apnea. He works closely with a sleep lab to properly diagnose your sleep disorder.
“Apnea” means a lapse of breath. Soft tissues blocking airflow cause sleep apnea. The following symptoms could indicate sleep apnea:
- Loud snoring on a regular basis
- Gasps for breath or choking during sleep
- Grogginess upon awakening
- Morning headaches
- Daytime fatigue
- Sleepiness (or falling asleep) while sitting, reading, watching TV, or driving
- Trouble with concentration and memory
- Low productivity
- Poor work performance
Dr. Bullard might also provide you with an oral sleep appliance to keep your soft tissues in place during sleep. He also suggests these tips to help significantly improve sleep and reduce sleep apnea symptoms:
- Sleeping on your side
- Propping your head up while you sleep
- Opening your nasal passages before bedtime
- Losing weight
- Quitting smoking
- Avoiding alcohol and sleep aids
- Maintaining a regular sleep schedule
For an effective solution to sleep apnea, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bullard, call our Oakland, CA office at 510-893-0808.
May 7th, 2011
Topic: Sleep Apnea Tags: dentist oakland ca, oakland ca dentist, oakland ca sleep apnea dentist, oakland ca sleep apnea treatment, sleep apnea dentist oakland ca, sleep apnea treatment oakland ca